No matter what type of business you have, how big or small it is, how successful it is and how long it’s been around, you need a digital marketing strategy in this day and age.
Without a good strategy, your business runs the risk of flying blind and making impulsive decisions every time a marketing issue comes up. Even if you are currently hitting your lead and sales targets, improvement and growth can be difficult without a strategy that gives you a clear understanding of why your efforts are succeeding.
By having an overarching digital marketing strategy for your business, you can significantly reduce the blind spots and uncertainties, allowing you to make more proactive decisions as a business leader.
What is digital marketing strategy and what are the core components?
Digital marketing strategy is simply your overall plan for achieving your marketing objectives through the use of digital channels such as search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click advertising (PPC) and social media marketing. Using digital methods effectively requires understanding how they work, who they work best for and how they work together.
To develop your broad digital marketing strategy, plan to take these steps:
- Clearly identify your marketing objectives and goals. For example, do you need to generate leads for an involved sales or service process, or do you have an online store that you’re trying to build sales for? What is the break-even point for your marketing budget for seeing a return on investment? Answering these questions can help you determine where to go from here.
- Perform an assessment of your current marketing efforts, both traditional and digital, to see what is working and what isn’t. You may identify areas right off the bat where you are massively overspending, or conversely, areas where investing more could achieve big results.
- Profile and segment your target audience by using your existing customer data. What kinds of digital content does this group tend to consume? What kinds of messages do they respond to based on market research?
- Start to develop overarching messaging for your brand. What sets your company apart? What are you promising to customers and clients? How are you describing your products and services? What do your leaders have to say?
- From here, you can build on these steps to start to implement individual tactics, including SEO, PPC and social media marketing to reach your audience and meet your sales targets.
Even with a clear strategy in place, there is no substitute for the experience of a seasoned digital marketer, which is why so many successful businesses turn to a digital partner to help them implement their strategy.
Burg & Co. Marketing can help with your digital strategy
We are a team of digital marketing professionals who have been helping businesses build their brand, exceed their targets and achieve ROI for years. Whether you’re looking to build or refine your strategy, we’re here for you.